Pop Top Improvement

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

peteinnit
80-90 Mem No: 12410

Pop Top Improvement

Post by peteinnit »

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has the same pop top as me, the van used to have a 'CI' badge on it which is who I assume did the conversion. It's a spacious pop top but a little awkward to put up, so wondering if anyone has the same and has modified it to make it quicker to put up? Also wondering if it would be possible to replace just the pop top section whilst keeping the white bottom section, section with a canvas type which would again be quicker and easier to put up. I know you can get complete new pop tops but they are a few grand last time I checked and I'd rather spend that kinda money on adventures  :D .

Happy vanning  :D .

Cheers,
PeterImage
T25 2.0l Aircooled CI - 1982

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Pop Top Improvement

Post by colinthefox »

It's an Autohomes Kamper. We bought one 20 years ago and one of the early projects was to replace the pop top with a home brew which was a lot lighter and more aerodynamic, and which reduced fuel consumption by an amazing 7 percent. At that time there was company which would replace these pop-tops, but I doubt they still do them. Someone else might know.
The new version has been great.It still has rigid sides, but I got rid of the GRP roof moulding, and this is what it looks like now.....Image.......and this is it opened up.
Because it has rigid sides it is insulated and weatherproof. It uses the original gas struts. It was a lot of work to convert!

If you're heading Bridgwater Somerset way you'd be welcome to have a look.

1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.