Novice Queries

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

onthejazz
80-90 Mem No: 0

Novice Queries

Post by onthejazz »

Hi folks, ive been reading this forum for a while now, thought id better post something up!

i have my eye on a 86' syncro caravelle, its not moved for about 2yrs, but ran fine before being left. it will need a bit of tlc, mainly body wise, i have no idea what to offer the guy though!

my plan is to convert it into a camper and general fun machine, i think its a 2.1, but cant be sure! after trawlling through the other forums i am considering diesel or gas to aid running costs.

also, is the 4wd selectable? i know it has selectable diff locks, just wondering for general fuel consumption tyre wear etc..

Thanks in advance

Dave

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

Be cheeky, plead ignorance about the 4wd system muttering "thats expensive to fix" and offer him £100 to take it away. :lol: Hopefully the seller is unaware of the syncro boom, and if so, keep him that way.
If the engine is a runner be carefull to do the maths with LPG and diesel conversions to make sure you are gonna get your money back. I am a big fan of the 2.1DJ petrol engine and think that it's a great engine. 112hp is enough power for 80mph sustained motorway cruising, the price being 22mpg.
The less you get it for, the more you will be able to spend on it, and the better it will be. Buy it before Cj @ syncrospares finds out where it is!!
Good luck.
Simon
P.S Subaru are bringing out a diesel flat four, thats the conversion for me, and I am gonna start saving for the first second hand engine right now!!
http://www.scoobyblog.com/2006-12-21/su ... -turns-40/
Last edited by syncrosimon on 16 May 2007, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

If you have short pockets do not buy a syncro.. the running costs are not much difference to a 2wd, ie not that thrifty... but its the mechanical issues that can arise that are the crippler..
Read more of the old posts on here... and consider if you really want one..

The raving "syncromusthaves" is not a good thing...

Just a breif outline of mine...
1992, doka, 142k km (when bought, now has 169k km) appears to be genuine low miles..
Gearbox required rebiuld, needs new cv joints (6 are the same as 2wd 2 are syncro only) front diff internals are worn and so another diff required,
new VC required, engine will require a refresh at least sooner rather than later... Brakes need overhaul.. all front suspension joints need doing too.
some minor bodywork required...
so far I reckon I will have spent oh... £1500 on top of what I paid and I havent got the VC and engine yet...
+ whatever mods I want to make it even better offroad...
Its really peed me off again and I am sick of the constant fixing of the worn parts, but once done should be good for another 10 years... but having said that, its done (with a bit of help from some a key syncro nutter) kept it on the road and done 27k km in a year..... (and it isnt my only vehicle!!!)

Part of my anoyance is due to the crappy job I have where I am all over Europe and not at home for long enough to get all the jobs done....

So, Dont step into it lightly...

clash460
80-90 Mem No: 1860

Post by clash460 »

Hi Onthejazz
the syncro you are watching is not near Newcastle by any chance?
if so have some background info that might help you :wink:

Gary
Member 1860

onthejazz

Post by onthejazz »

Thanks for your advice guys, i have spoken to the guy and he needs rid of it, so thats in my favour :wink:

the guy knows a thing or two about vw's, so no gd with the ignorance plea!

i know i def need a t25, and i have fancied a syncro for a while, so if i dont keep it it will at least be a stepping stone!

thanks again, i'll do a bit more research then go and see the guy 8)

oh, its in scotland btw :wink:

amulet
80-90 Mem No: 2500

Post by amulet »

there will be a reason why it's been left for two years and alot more potentially wrong with it than just bodywork - although that by itself could amount to a pretty penny depending on how bad it is (and believe me the Scottish climate can be savage on the seams).

sorry to sound negative but you need to see it before you offer anything.

andrew
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape; If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

onthejazz

Post by onthejazz »

thanks andrew,

the story with it so far was they have had it for approx 5-6 years, it was mot'ed 2 yrs ago with the intertion of being sold, but never got round to doing anything about it. the main reason they stopped using it was becouse it was too thirsty.

i havent seen it for about 8 months, but will hopefully go see it in the nxt week or so, your right the scottish weather may have taken its toll, i'll try get some photos, see what you guys thing.

dave

onthejazz

Post by onthejazz »

Alright chaps, just a little update on my syncro investigations.

i went to look at the caravelle i mentioned earlier. it turns out to be a GL with 97k on the clock, the interior is in v. gd condition, but it will need quite a bit of welding!

The worst bit of rust is on drivers side sill, just in from of rear suspension mounting, are complete new sills available? also a reopair section for the sliding door, maybe a new passenger sill just for peice of mind...

I intend to carry out all the work myself, i have done quite a bit of welding before, never a whole sill though!

Any tips and sources for panels would be great.

here are a few pics of her...

[IMG:800:600]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/bi ... 000730.jpg[/img]

[IMG:800:600]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/bi ... icture.jpg[/img]

Interior

[IMG:800:600]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/bi ... 000721.jpg[/img]

Engine, anyone identify it? if says DJ on the Manual!

[IMG:800:600]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/bi ... 000726.jpg[/img]

Ye Olde Syncrospares
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1315

Post by Ye Olde Syncrospares »

tis indeed a DJ,2.1 112 hp when new and used with higher octane fuel,cj.
bought some real off roaders!!!!!!!

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

by far the best quality after market panels i have seen are from http://www.ahschofield.co.uk/

Any tips and sources for panels would be great.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Ye Olde Syncrospares
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1315

Post by Ye Olde Syncrospares »

try vw for panels,but be quick.
bought some real off roaders!!!!!!!

onthejazz

Post by onthejazz »

Thanks for the advice and the links guys.

im glad no one has come back and said its not worth it!

Im sure it will be a good learning curve for me, plus there is nothing better than driving a car/bus that you have fixed up yourself 8)

i quite fancy roller painting it too, after reading the thread!

...let the fun (and misery!) begin.....