T25 Break or keep?? Any advice?

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Posten
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 Break or keep?? Any advice?

Post by Posten »

I used to be quite a regular on this site, but have been working abroad for the past year and a half and am now a bit out of the loop!

I have a T25 Ex Bundespost van 1982 1.6 diesel LHD Hi Top. Was running like a dream. I'd worked on the bodywork and had loads done on the engine prior to last year - including a new reconditoned engine head. But shortly after this i ignored the oil warning light and paid the price. The engine seized and i didn't have the money to open it up and find out what went on. Then i had to go abroad and she's been sitting in the drive getting more and more faded and rusty since.

Now i've got out of debt by a few pounds, i've been trying to decide what to do and i've narrowed my options to the following...

1. Put a bigger new/recon engine into the old van, having extensive bodyork and welding repair done to chasis and foot plates, but have difficulty finding parts - trying to find a left hand drive sliding door that cuts into the high top is a nightmare!

2. Buy an ex AA 2002 T4 2.5Tdi from auction (for about 3.5k, with high mileage) and put the interior of my old van into it. At the same time breaking or selling the rest of the old van complete.

I'm really not sure what my best option would be and was wondering whether anyone might be able to offer any advice, especially if they've had experience of doing either of the above. obviously all vans are different, but what kind of figure could i expect to get from the sale of an old van in this state? When it was in full working order a couple of years ago, i'd have expected to get 2,500 - 3,000. I don't really want to see her go for a few hundred quid.

Any advice will be most welcome.
Cheers. Posten.

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

sell or use the good bits.

jen
80-90 Mem No: 397

Post by jen »

Be honest, try and flog it, if it doesn't go, break it. A sound body is the major factor, a replacement engine is the easy bit......

If it goes as a pure breaker - with a rotten body, it's worth peanuts, but as a sound body with a replacement engine and MOT you'll increase it's value tenfold instantly.........

If you can afford it, and have the time, get an engine in it and MOT the bugger, or else expect to give it away......
If you are a playmobil person then your chances of drowning are significantly increased by wearing a life jacket.

Club 80-90 Member No.397 (& 2410).

MacAoidh
80-90 Mem No: 1045

Post by MacAoidh »

I hope you can manage to sell it as a 'going concern', or keep it, but if you do break it, give me a shout. I've got a 1.6 n/a diesel that needs a few bits. But I wouldn't be taking the whole thing off your hands...

Steve

Hay-on-Wye
01497 822877
Member 1045 – 1986 1.6 n/a Diesel conversion (JK, probably from a Caddy)

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

theres one on ebay now £50, no-one is bidding either(just yet).