I know what it is but WHY?

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Brooky
80-90 Mem No: 2795

I know what it is but WHY?

Post by Brooky »

My '87 Caravelle has the usual really bad front suspension squeak. Every tiny movement results in the most evil squeaking. I know I need to renew the front upper wishbone fulcrum bushes & yes, I have checked the WIKI on this subject, so I know how to do it. I also work in a garage so I have no problem with doing the job.
My problem is that I'm a curious soul & I want to know what is rubbing against what to cause the squeak. The new bush appears to have a metal outer casing & a metal inner sleeve. I assume that there is bonded rubber between the two. The inner sleeve cannot be a tight fit on the fulcrum pin or you would not be able to remove the pin, so the bush is not subject to any torsional forces. So where does the squeak come from & why can I not cure it with spray lubrication but wet weather DOES stop it?
Brooky. :?
Member No. 2795

lone gunman
80-90 Mem No: 1044

Post by lone gunman »

It may be that the inner sleeve has stuck to the pin (corrosion most likely) and broke free from the rubber and is turning inside the bush. Of course it could be one of the other bushes that is squeaking.
Stephen AKA Lone Gunman.

Autohomes Kameo 1.9 wasserboxer

Practice gun control ... use BOTH hands.

Brooky
80-90 Mem No: 2795

Post by Brooky »

Blimey, I hope the inner sleeve isn't stuck on the pin or I'll have hells own job getting the pins out! I didn't know that any of the other bushes could make such an evil noise & I've drenched them all in WD40 periodically to no avail. I pretty much assumed that this noise was absolutely typical of upper wishbone bush failure. It really is bad. I mean people turn round & look when I go over speed bumps! Damned embarrassing! :oops:
Brooky.
Member No. 2795

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Oh I dunno - got used to mine :D

Tis loud though I agree. i-eee i-eee i-eee

E D I T: Theres actually some outrageous speed bumps close to me in Coventry that not only need second gear, you have to virtually come to a stop - full width of the road too. If my van squeaks I know I've gone over one too fast. Normally in a wedge you can get your wheels nicely either side of the usual types but not these! Cars sail over them but its way too much in the wedge. Go more than 5 miles an hour and your chin hits the steering wheel - lol

Anyone who lives near Ball Hill will KNOW which ones I mean....
Last edited by CovKid on 02 Aug 2006, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Arvi
80-90 Mem No: 2472

squeak

Post by Arvi »

I have it too! though it goes away when it cold with the rubber hardening up
Now running and fixing
1990 VW Caravelle GL 2.1 auto

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

If we got all our vans side by side maybe we could do a concerto
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Mine does it too, I had the bushes checked by an experienced VW "Van Man" and he said the bushes were not worn to the point that they needed replacing or would be an MOT failure and I should just live with it for now.

I would like to get rid of the noise though.

So I will be watching this thread for any ideas :!:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

Ive a syncro and mine does it too. I always said that if I wore ear protectors my van would drive perfectly! My girlfriend is always saying I constantly go on about squeaks, rattles, clunks etc when Im driving. Of course I should have paid more attention to the grating sound coming from my gearbox cause now my van is off the road with a shattered clutch release bearing! D'oh!
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.

Macflai
80-90 Mem No: 4201

Post by Macflai »

I am also have a Syncro and of course, makes that noise... really I don't care and, Airhead, my girlfriend says nothing so... a happy man with a noisy van!! :lol: :lol:
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

MacAoidh
80-90 Mem No: 1045

Post by MacAoidh »

I'm particularly lucky in this regard, running a 1.6n/a. Because the engine has to run flat out just to get off the drive, I generally wear earplugs.
So: what squeaking?

Might be a handy mod for others to consider.
Member 1045 – 1986 1.6 n/a Diesel conversion (JK, probably from a Caddy)

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

my girlfriend says nothing

And he lives in the Canaries and he drives a syncro, it's like if Carlsberg wrote your life story :?
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

jen
80-90 Mem No: 397

Post by jen »

Horza wrote:
my girlfriend says nothing

And he lives in the Canaries and he drives a syncro, it's like if Carlsberg wrote your life story :?
The mileage to be had after a quote like that is astounding, even if it does partially prove the point...... :lol:
If you are a playmobil person then your chances of drowning are significantly increased by wearing a life jacket.

Club 80-90 Member No.397 (& 2410).