Who did this then?

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Aidan will tell you :idea:
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

that the speedo drive from VW has halved in price recently and that if you run 205 tyres or such fit the speedo drive for the 185s and your speedo will be close to correct, with 215/75 MTs it's almost bob on.
I have the remains of an old cable which can be used with a slide hammer to extract the old drive shaft.
If it was intermittent I'd suspect the cable.
With one wheel in the air rotate the input flange and observe the speedo drive output. If it don't spin then the drive is kerfuffed.

jen
80-90 Mem No: 397

Post by jen »

I've got 205's..........hmmm.....it'd be a novelty to have a speedo that not only registered numbers, but numbers that were even close to correct.......

That wiki'ed solution sounds like a barst though - may have to heavily coerce Euan into doing it for me....... :lol:
If you are a playmobil person then your chances of drowning are significantly increased by wearing a life jacket.

Club 80-90 Member No.397 (& 2410).

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Can be heaven or hell... but since you've got the lowdown there already, and if you tool up accordingly, get a speedo drive waiting (new or 2nd hand) and a 5mm drift like that, can be less about an hour. Need to keep things reasonably clean and wire brush the whole area before you start... brush it down and WD40 it so can see what you're doing under there, jack up front to give more room, head torch etc. ~
Vs tackling it cold not knowing what you're up against, and digging ever deeper holes :roll:

Take a bit of string or wire to tie those hoses out of the way, and get a good straight swing with proper club hammer, if it moves immediately you're well on your way. A nice pair of parrots to get the drive out without crushing it or use Aidan's tool :wink:

With 15" Machos my speedo now is spot-on Vs the GPS, every time, so they run about 5~7% fast I reckon normally.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1